Thursday, September 2, 2010

Guest Star May Flaum!

I love finding inspiration while I’m out shopping in non-craft stores. On my last trip to the kitchen section of a Bed Bath & Beyond I noticed these little tartlet pans. Ranging from about 2” – 4” in diameter my brain started flying. I could turn them over and make them into a base for something, fill them, decorate them, make Christmas ornaments, or just some fun home decor!

To say my mind was spinning would be an understatement! The first step, if making an ornament or wall hanging is to figure out how you’ll attach it. Some hot glue on the back and a ribbon would work, but instead I used a Fiskars Craft Drill to quickly drill a hole in the top center for my ribbon tie.


To start decorating, first I cropped a photo the best that I could and placed it in the bottom, then to cover up my imperfections I sprinkled German Glass Glitter around the edges with a liquid adhesive. This helped to really seal the edges as well as cover up the rough spots.

I also dabbed some of Jenni Bowlin’s acrylic paint dabber (in fountain pen) along the ridges to add a bit of contrast.

My next task was rubbing the butterfly onto a transparency. I was concerned if all the bits would stay stuck, so I applied stickles over the surface and allowed to dry before cutting it out and adhering to the back of the tartlet tin.

Now it’s just time to add stickers! I used a liquid adhesive on the stickers and buttons (stickers spell out family on one side, Flaum (our last name) on the other) since the surface area is so thin and I wanted also to de-stick any area of the sticker that isn’t touching the tartlet tin. When dry the liquid adhesive takes care of both!

I think some Jenni Bowlin chipboard buttons would make a great centerpiece for the smaller tins, and who knows – you may see a lot of these on my Christmas tree this December!
May Flaum is a vintage, lace, and all things girly loving mom of two daughters. When not playing with them or crafting she either has her nose in a book or is out burning off calories from her tremendous sweet tooth. For more about May visit her blog at www.mayflaum.com
Pin It!

3 comments: