Monday, January 16, 2012

Valentine's Day Paper Cones

I made these cones, also known as paper cornucopias or May Day baskets, for my kids to give to their teachers for Valentine's Day. You can tuck a little wrapped gift inside or put the gift inside wrapped with tissue paper or for a very special presentation you could wrap the gift in a vintage hankie. Another option is to use shredded paper and fill the cone with candy and treats. 
They also look so pretty to use as decorations. In the top photo I strung them on a ribbon and hung them over my mirror and in the photo above I hung them on my white feather tree.

The cones were made using 3D Scalloped Cone from Silhouette. I have a Cameo so I was able to cut them from full sheets of 12 x 12 paper for the largest cones. If you have a Silhouette SD they'll be smaller, closer in size to the diamond patterned cone I made. If you don't have electronic die cutting capabilities there are tons of cone templates online, like here and here
After the cones were cut I glued them together and used a long reach stapler to add a little reinforcement along the back seam, probably not completely necessary but I didn't have to wait as long for the glue to dry. I cut the silhouette girls from Jenni's papers.  The older girl is from Be My Guest and the little girl is from Haven. I layered the Haven girl on a JBS oval label sticker to match the other one, as seen on the diamond patterned cone. 
I made full, loopy bows with seam binding. For a few of the cones I used two colors on each bow. I added the teachers' initials using JBS alterable alphas in the middle of the bows. I attached ric rac handles and the bows with hot glue.

They look cute on the inside too!
Supplies:
Red/Black Extension IV - School Dress
Other supplies:
Gold oval doily - Martha Stewart Crafts
Alternative ways to get an oval doily via Silhouette: Oval Doily, Doily Border Frame Oval 
Vintage seam binding and ric rac - Ebay
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. These are georgous Briana...I esp love the one with the hankie tucked inside. So clever...
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are on fire with creativity, briana! these are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my dear gosh! these are just gorgeous briana

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete