Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Inspiration: Pride and Prejudice


Welcome to Word for Word Wednesday, and to another book inspiration post, in which we focus on how some of our favorite literary works can spark creativity -- and today's selection is all about sparks flying.

   "You could not have made me the offer of your hand in any possible way that would have tempted me to accept it."
   Again his astonishment was obvious; and he looked at her with an expression of mingled incredulity and mortification. She went on --
   "From the very beginning -- from the first moment, I may almost say -- of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form that groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immoveable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry."

It's moments like this that make me fall into Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice over and over, whether in book or movie form.  Published in 1813, it just may be one of the most quotable, enduring, and swoon-worthy classics ever written.  A recent version of the book, with cover art by the amazing Ruben Toledo, definitely speaks to the spirit of the novel (as well as my newfound love of silhouettes).


When it comes to Pride and Prejudice on film, there is no question that certain images resonate.  Doris and I shared a laugh the other day after watching this interview with screenwriter Andrew Davies (see #9 especially), in which he addresses Colin Firth's "wet, ruffled shirt scene" in the BBC version.  Davies claims that he "was very surprised when it seemed like half the women in England had posters of Colin Firth in his wet shirt in the kitchen to cheer themselves up when doing their domestic chores."  Talk about inspiration, hmm?  


Drawing from Toledo's silhouettes and my own inclination toward all things Darcy, I created the following page as a kind of homage to one of my favorite books ever:
This page, like the book, observes certain conventions while also applauding the spirit of true romance.  The first time I saw the Be My Guest silhouette journaling cards and rub-ons, I was immediately reminded of Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (and I know I'm not alone in making that comparison).  These ended up becoming the foundation for this page, which may be a photo-less layout, but it still has a clear focal point.  


To create the garland, I printed excerpts from Pride and Prejudice (which is readily available online) over a few of the Be My Guest papers, and punched circles from the text, honing in on particularly telling words such as "civility," "marrying," "courted," "daughters", "single", "beauty," and of course, "pride."  I then added accents, such as JBS rhinestone buttons, pearl charms, stick pins, and rhinestone bows.  



I reread Pride and Prejudice at least once a year, and watch the movie version(s) several times yearly.  It continually inspires! 
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I read it at least twice a year, own most versions of the movie and have 5 copies (gifts) of the book. I guess you could say it's my favorite!

    I love the silhouettes, the whole layout is awesome! TFS great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Carol -- a kindred spirit! :) It's always great to meet a fellow P&P junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LO looks great even w/out a photo!
    Craft-tastrophe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love how much thought went into this page! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P & P is my FAVE!!!!!!!!!

    love your l/o!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, this page is so stunning, and I love that you did a page about your favorite literature! I just finished watching "Becoming Jane" with Anne Hathaway. I need to read P&P again - it's been a looooong time!

    ReplyDelete