Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seam Binding ruffle tutorial with kL



Hello everyone! It's kL here and this morning I'm going to show you how to make the ruffled seam binding that you see in my Vintage Goods layout from the November JBS mercantile gallery. I've received so many questions regarding how I created the ruffles and it's a really simple technique and a great way to add some texture to your layouts and/or projects using your JBS kits.

step one : cut a 2-3 yard piece of seam binding {available in the JBS mercantile shop here} and sew a long running stitch along the edge of the ribbon, as seen in the picture above, with a piece of embroidery floss or thread. I prefer embroidery floss as it's stronger and doesn't break as easily as thread.

step two : keep sewing the running stitch and make sure you have a knot in the end of your ribbon so you can gather your seam binding as you go.

step three : gather the seam binding loosely along the embroidery floss and tie a knot at the other end.

If you're adding it to a layout {as I did} I advise using a quick dry adhesive {like zip-dry} or a tacky tape to secure it. measure how long you need your ribbon to be and then scrunch accordingly. the piece in my layout used about 3 yards of ribbon for a 9" border.

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and I'll be sure to come back answer them in the comments.

Happy Tuesday!
xo
kL
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. oh i love this! and didn't realize it was hand sewn . . . doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look easy. Reminds me of making yoyos, sort of. Thanks for the tutorial. Are you using all 6 strands of embroidery floss for this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip!!! I love it & the red is super pretty & really pops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOLena : yes, i just used the full 6 strands, although even one strand would be fine as it's still alot stronger than normal sewing thread.
    xo
    kL

    ReplyDelete